Our mission

Family Voices aims to achieve family-centered care for all children and youth with special health care needs and/or disabilities. Through our national network, we provide families tools to make informed decisions, advocate for improved public and private policies, build partnerships among professionals and families, and serve as a trusted resource on health care.
Utah Family Voices assists families of children with special health care needs/disabilities and the professionals who work with them. Utah Family Voices is staffed by parents of children with special health care needs who have experience and expertise in navigating the maze of services and programs.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Losing control only to gain more...

Today was our first day with a CNA to help with Camryn.  I have had nurses come and go with other things like PICC lines and RSV shots but not had anyone into help with Camryn's daily cares.  I have always thought that this was MY job and I really didn't need anyone to help.  However, the time has come!  Camryn is getting bigger and it is getting harder to be able to do it all myself, especially when my husband is not home.  I thought when my kids were getting older it would get easier, but not so.  I kept having experiences that were teaching me that in home help just may be the way to go.  Was it easy at first... NO!  Within the first couple days I knew the first CNA was not going to work out.  We now have new CNA and so far things are going good.  Like I said, today was her first day with out me right by her side, and she did pretty well!

So how do you know if you would qualify for Home Care help?
Typically personal care services (provided by a CNA) are paid for with Medicaid,  however some long-term care insurances and a few private insurances do have benefits that cover personal care services.  You also will need to get a prescription from your child's doctor for a functional care assessment.  The agencies you talk to usually will take care of that all you need to do is provide the doctor's contact information.

How do I choose an agency?
Start with your local agencies and go from there.  Sometimes word of mouth is a good way to go also.  Utah Family Voices cannot recommend any certain agency but sometimes we can direct you to a network of families that you can ask.  Once you find a couple recommended agencies, call and you ask those questions that are important to your particular situation; ie, are the times you need a CNA fall with in their hours, what are the aides credentials, etc.  Also questions for the agency themselves; are your CNA's licensed and insured, is your agency licensed by the state, how are your employees screened, etc.  These are just a few questions to get started, you may have others as well.

Ok, I have someone set to start soon, now what!?
This is where you can learn from my mistakes.  I would recommend you have help start on a day when you don't really need it so you will have the time to train them.  I had the second CNA train on days when I wasn't working so she could just watch the way I wanted things done and ask questions without me worrying about time constraints.

DO NOT be afraid to tell the agency your feelings!  This is the greatest thing about hiring an agency, they do all the hiring and firing for you!!  For me, I really wanted someone that would blend well with my personality and do things the way my daughter was use to them being done.  After all, she is still my little girl and if anything this will help me be a better mom to not only her but to my other kids as well.  Stay tuned!

If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to call our office and talk to us!

-Christine

Phone - 801-272-1068
Toll free in Utah - 1-800-468-1160
Spanish line - 801-272-1067


No comments:

Post a Comment